Canada Pension Plan – Apply
Apply for your CPP retirement pension now by signing in or registering for a My Service Canada Account (MSCA).
Unable to apply online
You will not be able to apply online if:
- you are currently receiving a CPP retirement pension;
- you have already applied for the CPP retirement pension and Service Canada is currently assessing your application;
- you are currently or were previously receiving a CPP disability benefit;
- you previously received a disabled contributor’s child benefit or a surviving child’s benefit;
- you were previously receiving a benefit that was paid to a designated third party;
- you currently live outside of Canada; or
- you have an authorized third party on your account.
If any of the above applies to you, you will need to complete the Application for a Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension and include certified true copies of the required documentation, and mail it or bring it to your Service Canada Centre closest to you. Mailing addresses are provided on the form.
If you were unable to apply earlier due to a medical condition and unable to ask someone to apply on your behalf, please contact Canada Pension Plan to obtain the Declaration of Incapacity form (ISP1800). If you meet all the eligibility requirements and return this form along with your CPP retirement pension application, you may receive your pension with an earlier start date. You can mail both documents or bring them to the Service Canada Centre closest to you. Mailing addresses are provided on the form.
Can someone else contact Service Canada on my behalf?
To authorize a person to communicate with Service Canada on your behalf, you will need to complete the Consent to Communicate Information to an Authorized Person form (ISP1603CPP). Both you and the person you’re authorizing must sign the printed form and mail it to the Service Canada Centre closest to you. Mailing addresses are provided on the form.
This form does not provide authority for the person to apply for benefits on your behalf, change your payment address, or request/change the withholding of tax.
If an individual is incapable of managing his/her own affairs, a third party may be appointed to act on the individual’s behalf. See Supporting Homeless Seniors Program: How to act as a third-party administrator.
- Date modified: