Labour Market Agreements
To increase labour market participation of groups that are under-represented in Canada's labour force and to enhance the employability and skills of the labour force, the Government of Canada has entered into agreements (known as Labour Market Agreements) with provinces and territories. Through these agreements, the Government provides funding for provincial and territorial labour market programs and services for:
- unemployed persons who are not eligible for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits; and
- employed persons who do not have a high school diploma or recognized certification, or have low levels of literacy and essential skills.
Under these agreements, provinces and territories determine the priorities for funding and decide how the funding is allocated in order to meet the needs of their particular labour markets.
Labour market agreements are complemented by labour market development agreements, which fund labour market programs and services for unemployed Canadians, particularly those who are eligible for Employment Insurance benefits.
Agreements and Reports
Each agreement includes the province's or territory's high-level multi-year plan on its priorities and investments for the entire period of funding. Each year, the province or territory also publishes a more detailed annual plan, outlining its:
- planned activities and projected expenditures for the year; and
- reports to its citizens on the results achieved in the previous year.
In addition to the provincial and territorial reports, the Government of Canada releases a national report on Labour Market Agreement activities and results.
- Canada – British Columbia Labour Market Agreement (signed on February 20, 2008)
- Omnibus Amending Agreement to the Canada – British Columbia Labour Market Agreement and Labour Market Development Agreement (signed on April 9, 2009)
- Annual Plans and Reports
- Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Canada – Newfoundland and Labrador Labour Market Agreement (signed on September 4, 2008)
- Omnibus Amending Agreement to the Canada – Newfoundland and Labrador Labour Market Agreement and Labour Market Development Agreement (signed on June 22, 2009)
- Annual Plans and Reports
- Department of Advanced Education and Skills
Prince Edward Island
- Canada – Québec Labour Market Agreement (signed on March 27, 2009)
- Agreement to Amend the Canada – Quebec Labour Market Agreement (signed on April 30, 2009)
- Agreement to Amend the Canada – Quebec Labour Market Agreement in Principle (signed on April 30, 2009)
- Annual Plans and Reports (French only)
- Ministry of Education and Social Solidarity
- Date modified: